Status element in OAI-PMH envelope, managed authorities declared by registries, and RegTAP

Pierre Le Sidaner pierre.lesidaner at obspm.fr
Tue Nov 4 14:12:34 CET 2014

On 11/04/2014 02:06 PM, Markus Demleitner wrote:
> Hi Menelaos,
>
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 12:43:26PM +0100, Menelaus Perdikeas wrote:
>> Consider the following scenario: a resource was hosted in a
>> registry A and was later, for some reasons, migrated by its owner
>> to another registry B. In an IVOA context this should presumably
>> also require that the managed authorities of both registries be
>> updated to reflect the migration of the resource(s).
>>
>> Assuming OAI-PMH support for deletions in repository A, should the
>> repository A now report the migrated record as "deleted" or not?
>>
>> This has ramifications for RegTAP. When harvesting a repository if
>> I see that a record is "deleted" (in the OAI-PMH envelope sense)
>> then I proceed to also purge it from the RegTAP database (as per
>> RegTAP's requirement that  "deleted" and "inactive" records are not
>> maintained - although that "deleted" refers to the "status"
>> attribute of the VOResource, not the OAI-PMH envelope's "status"
>> element).
> The case of a moving authority poses some subtle problems, indeed,
> and you are probably right that we need to be more careful in
> describing the desired behaviour.
>
>> Does the above make sense? If so, it is important that managed
>> authorities declared by registries are correctly maintained when
>> resources are migrated (a rare event at any rate).
> I believe your treatment makes sense; and of course, maintaining an
> essentially perfect registry - authority mapping makes many registry
> problems much easier (which is why I propose to give the RofR a
> stronger role there).
>
> What I'd suggest as concrete rules for authority moves would look
> like:
>
>    (1) Searchable registries detecting a move of an authority from one
>    registry to another should schedule a full reharvest of both the
>    originating and the receiving registry.
>
>    (2) When an authority moves from one registry to another, deleted
>    records should be moved along if at all possible.  The originating
>    registry should stop handing out records with the moved authority
>    immediately, at least not within its ivo_managed set.  In particular,
>    it should not generate deleted records for the records that left the
>    registry.
>
> I've put down as much on
> http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/RegistryInterfacesNext --
> comments, changes and critique welcome there and/or here.
>
> Cheers,
>
>        Markus

Hi all

As I was in this case :
we have first move from NVO registry to Euro-VO registry and it was a
nightmare, as you describe it
Then we have moved from Euro-VO to a publishing registry changing all
the ivo-ID, and the deletion was easy with no Ghost.

regards
Pierre

                            Pierre Le Sidaner
                         Observatoire de Paris

Division Informatique de l'Observatoire
Observatoire Virtuel 01 40 51 20 89
61, avenue de l'Observatoire 75014 Paris

mailto:pierre.lesidaner at obspm.fr
http://vo.obspm.fr