new take on resource registration best practice

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Oct 24 02:04:01 PDT 2013

Markus et al.,

I'm not following this discussion in detail but:

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> One possibility still is that we do nothing in VOResource.  Under the
> assumption that there's not going to be thousands of "federated"
> services, maybe clients could cope with resolving relationsships by
> just memoizing the most common federated services?  Maybe queries
> against the original VOResource DM can be made natural enough that
> this can work?  I believe the three-worlds approach I've described in

can you explain in a bit more detail how this memoizing
(? if that's a technical term with non-obvious
connotations I've missed them) might work?
Is the idea that one could make a RegTAP query to identify the
(small number of) large federated TAP services, or that such a
list is hard coded into clients?  What needs to get memoized,
a large chunk of VOResource for each one or just the service URL?
>From a practical point of view, the idea of clients presenting
to the user a list of the half dozen general TAP services that
most people will want to use most of the time, alongside the
alternative option of searching for a bespoke TAP service,
looks attractive, though I'm not really sure if what you're
talking about here is relevant to that.

Mark