RegTAP pre-draft

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Jun 21 05:06:57 PDT 2013

Dear Registry list,

As promised at the interop, I'm going to put out a new version of
RegTAP addressing, I hope, the remaining concerns.  This version again
comes with schema changes including renaming a table; I'm sorry about
that, but it's all for the better^W^W saving delimited identifiers
later on.

I'd like to give all of you a chance to look at the stuff and comment
before I'm going to package things up for another working draft --
you can see the current state of affairs on volute:

http://volute.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/projects/registry/regtap/RegTAP-fmt.html

To give you an idea of what happened, here's the changelog as in the
document:

* The final utype reform: most of our ex-utype strings aren't called utypes
  any more, they're fairly plain xpaths.  Consequently,
  res_detail.detail_utype has been renamed
  res_detail.detail_xpath.

* Renamed some columns and the subject table to relieve the need of quoting
  in MS SQL Server (or, in the case or use_param, maintain
  consistency after the renaming):
    [Table cropped]

* rr.intf_param grew the arraysize and delim columns that before
  accidentally were only present in rr.table_column.

* Added warnings about having to match case-insensitively in
  res_detail.detail_value for IVORN-valued rows.
[This is one place in which I deviated from what I had declared as my
favourites on RI2Discussion on the wiki -- there are no rules on
mandatory lowercasing of certain keys, I just couldn't bring my
fingers to type the specs for that]

* Restored the foreign key from interface to capability.  Mandating
  ignoring interface elements from StandardsRegExt records really is the
  lesser evil.

* resource.region_of_regard now must have unit metadata
  declared.

There's some further minor changes (including marking up the examples
contained as DALI-compatible examples, so you can just say

  property="continuation">RegTAP Examples</a>

at the right place and examples-aware TAP clients (of which there are
none yet, but I do hope that's going to change) will give you some
local-looking documentation).  I don't think any of those are
relevant for the current implementors, but if you want to see for
yourselves, check

svn log http://volute.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/projects/registry/regtap

An implementation of this is currently live at
http://dc.g-vo.org/tap, the potsdam mirror will be updated some time
during the next week.

Cheers,

          Markus