RegTAP questions

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 16 13:24:55 PST 2012

Hi Markus,

As I mentioned in the waning hours of the IVOA, I threw together the
CREATE TABLE sql statements that implement (pretty closely, anyway)
the Registry TAP model you proposed.  Folks can find it attached to
RI2Discussion
(http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/RI2Discussion).

In the process, I came up with just a few questions.

1.  The resource table, while including created and updated
    (attributes of the root resource element), does not apparently
    include status (whose values can be "active", "inactive", or
    "deleted").  Is this intended so to follow the RI-1 specification
    that searches only return active records?

2.  I like the use of hashes as delimiters for string array values as
    well as the function ivo_hashlist_has().  I believe, though, your
    list of columns is incomplete (e.g. content_type).  Some columns,
    though, refer specifically to "comma-separated lists"; shouldn't
    we also make these hash-delimited as well?

3.  In the intf_param table, the form column, by its definition, seems
    to correspond to interface/param/@use.  Was there a reason for
    using a different name?  Was there intention to include a
    column for the interface/param/@std?

    (I kinda looks like maybe there was an incompleted attempt to
    combine these values.  Could this be the case?)

4.  I may have misunderstood your intent with creator_seq.  I see from
    the document, it is part of the resource table and from your
    implementation that it is a comma-delimited list of creator names.

    I thought that the intent was to provide a means for indicating
    the original order of the creators/authors.  When you mentioned
    creator_seq in S.P., I imagined it would be an integer value that
    appears in the res_role table which indicates the position in the
    subject in the creator list.  This would allow you, for instance,
    to search for records based on, say, the first author.  Did you
    have a different use case in mind?

thanks,