Registry harvesting frequency

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue May 29 05:25:09 PDT 2012

My opinion: harvesting once a day is quite sufficient, once a week is
not too bad.  Yes it would be even nicer if all changes showed up in
all registries instantly, and if particular registry implementations
find it convenient to harvest multiple times a day let them do so,
but it doesn't seem to me a serious problem if publishers have to
wait a bit for resource propagation.  Given the pull-model
of harvesting it is not feasible that propagation is instant, so
publishers who check a foreign registry as soon as they have
published on a local one are bound to be disappointed anyway
(and I certainly don't think this issue warrants a major architectural
change).  On the timescale of preparing and registering a data service,
an extra day or two, even a week, is not a long time.

I am neither a data publisher nor a registry operator, so I don't have
any special insight into this, but in my opinion it is not one of the
more pressing issues facing VO registries.

Mark