Question about registry support of general RESTful services.

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 4 16:02:37 PST 2012

I'd suggest that the first question to ask, for each such service, is
whether a fully RESTful (file/resource oriented) or object oriented
(object with methods) model is more appropriate for the specific
service.  In the latter case the DAL interfaces define an existing
standard pattern which being OO is not tied so closely to HTTP, but
which is nonetheless integrated with the existing VO RESTful standards
such as for UWS and VOSI.

Both are good models but they are quite different - OO is more
appropriate for accessing things which are well defined objects (e.g. an
image), the file/resource model is more appropriate for structured
information.

 	- Doug

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Theresa Dower wrote:

> I ask because a colleague (Steve Handy) at STScI and I are looking for a way to catalogue our non-VO-standard services for internal use and wondering if the registry paradigm fits the services we already have and ones we're planning to build soon. He's suggested looking to WSDL 2.0 for answers on RESTful service descriptions if there's not already a VO way to do things. I'd like to start working on this once I've read through it and our use cases and the existent special-case VO interface descriptions, and welcome help, input, a hostile takeover, from anyone. Anybody? Bueller?

??