StandardsRegExt: links to schemas

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 20 03:12:27 PST 2012

Hi Mark,

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012, Mark Taylor wrote:
> However, introducing new functionality at the TCG review stage
> is by my reading contrary to the document review process as currently
> formalized in the DocStd document, and it means there will have been
> no IVOA-wide review of this part of the standard.

This is indeed what I wanted to hear someone say.  I wanted to be
responsive to all TCG comments; however, it certainly did feel like we
were crossing a line.  Nevertheless, the revision is helpful:  not
only does it demonstate that the suggestion is more than a trivial
change, it shows what a subsequent, post-REC update could look like.

Other opinions from the TCG?

> If the main use case is, as you say, human discovery of the schemas,
> it doesn't seem to add all that much benefit, since for a human making
> use of such a registry record, the cost of the additional step of
> indirecting via the human-readable standard document itself is likely
> to be low compared with whatever use is being made of it
> (e.g. trying to understand what it means and how to use it).

This is a reasonable argument.  I might offer that a human that
encounters a rendering of the record such as this one:

http://vao.stsci.edu/directory/getRecord.aspx?id=ivo://org.gavo.dc/misc/tapexamples

(which doesn't actually define a schema; that is, an autogenerated,
human-readable rendering of the record) and perhaps who is not
completely ignorant of the context of the standard might appreciate
seeing a link to the schema file and associated examples.

thanks,