Registry Interfaces V2

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Aug 30 02:31:45 PDT 2012

Hi all,

As you are probably aware, some discussion about revamping the
current registry interfaces specification has been going on for a
while (e.g.,
http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/RestfulRegistryInterfaceReq).

I have now put online an internal working draft based on TAP and a
specification of a database schema -- much like obscore -- at
http://docs.g-vo.org/ridraft. This material was cooked up between Paul,
Theresa, Gretchen and me since Pune and encompasses the slightly
edited text of the RIv1 chapters on OAI-PMH and the VOResource
extension for Registries.

The authors have identified a number of open issues -- some quite
fundamental, actually -- that we'd like to resolve with the
community.  For that purpose, please comment on-list or preferably
on the wiki page
http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/RI2Discussion.

There's also the idea to -- either in addition or replacing the
"RegTAP" (i.e., specifying tables to be accessed through TAP) --
specify a simpler restful interface, probably along the lines of what
Pierre showed in Urbana[2].  Ideas and suggestions in that direction
are also welcome on the wiki.

Finally, it just occurred to me that maybe some material from Ray's
Registry of Registries note
(http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/RegistryOfRegistries.html)
should be made normative, too, while we're at it -- Ray, what do you
think?

Cheers,

         Markus

[1] or get it from volute at
http://volute.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/projects/registry/RegistryInterface
-- you're of course welcome to commit there
[2] http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/InterOpMay2012Registry, the
Tuesdeay session -- Pierre, maybe you can post the slides for those
that couldn't make it to Urbana?