spaces in node names

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Feb 17 12:55:27 PST 2011

Note: cross-posted to registry mailing list

On 2011-02-17 12:09:06 you wrote:
> Can we use spaces in other IVOA identifiers? If not, then VOSpace
> identifiers should also not allow spaces.

The latest IVOA Identifier spec says:

"A resource key must conform to the syntax of a URI path component (RFC 2396,
section 3.2)"

There is no explicit mention of using a space character in the path (resource
key) part of an IVOA Identifier. The RFC in question does seem to permit a
specific scheme (eg. ivo or vos) to allow use of properly encoded characters
outside the list of allowed/unreserved characters.

--

Patrick Dowler
Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7