Capability extension for describing whole sky maps

Gretchen Greene greene at stsci.edu
Mon May 24 08:36:44 PDT 2010

Hi Pierre,

If you look at the footprint service spec notes,  we are
proposing for some of the service specifications to use the
regionID,  which in our reference implementations,  can match
an internal HTM identifier.  The tesselation 'scheme'
(healpix, htm, toast, etc.) is independent of the service
method,  yet would rely on having knowledge of the capability.

What we would like to do for footprint services is to provide
an extension schema for the registry,  to contain the relevant
metadata for invoking service methods on a given endpoint.

I guess the point i'm eluding to is that there may be some
advantage to including the capability elements you are
proposing in the footprint extension schema.  I can see where
we could also simply rely on a separate capability instance,
but for footprints,  i.e. region maps of the sky,  your
service example could represent an image map use case.

I'm still thinking through the details of how you are
implementing your service,  with the direction we are heading
with the footprints.  You may want to consult with Francois
Bonnarel,  we had a good follow up meeting for how the
hierachical footprints would implement the provenance model,
odm.  A sky tesselation is NOT a footprint hierarchy,  but
would provide a region indexing scheme,  which is part of what
we have proposed to include as a backend capability to level 2
footprint service methods.

-Gretchen