Registry in RSS

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Jan 14 10:16:40 PST 2010

On Jan 14, 2010, at 9:03 AM, Dick Shaw wrote:

> Without disagreeing with the fine ideas offered in this thread, I
> think there may be some value in keeping the conceptual basis and
> purpose of VOEvent relatively uncluttered.

Indeed.  For a VOEvent mission statement, we have often referenced
this phrasing from the spec: "VOEvent is a mechanism for broadcasting
discoveries that others may wish to follow-up, and this purpose
defines its scope."

The next sentence discusses astronomical discoveries, but I
intentionally omitted the adjective from the sentence above.  Follow-
up - of whatever sort - is the soul of VOEvent - we're interested in
publishing living data that has implications in the real world.
Hence, for instance, the subtitle of the Hotwired book the WG is
currently working on:  "The Era of Real-time Astronomy".  These are
not static, write-only data.

> The example notification from IERS is, in its content, really about
> a non-event (no adjustment to the time reference system is expected
> to happen at the end of June).

The twice yearly opportunity to issue a leap second is an event.  Each
occasion has three values: -1, 0, +1.  Leap seconds are cumulative -
some repository must keep track of them.  The current notification
mechanism (prose email) is poorly suited to the purpose of systems
that actually need to use UTC, and thus must implement leap seconds.
The IERS mission is itself strongly tied to the same question of