Registry in RSS

Mike Fitzpatrick fitz at noao.edu
Wed Jan 13 11:00:15 PST 2010

Along the same lines:  We've had a "usvao" Twitter feed running for a
while now that queries the US Registry hourly for updates/modified
entries.  The results are summarized in the allotted 140 chars to give
a sense of what new resource is available, but primarily this was done
to stake out the 'usvoa' Twitter for what we might do later.

While these (Twitter and RSS) are both nice to have without a specific
purpose, the IVOA AppsWG might want to consider how these could
be used:  e.g. could Portals be watching these to accrue new resources
locally?  Should ivorns be required for software to be used or do we assume
humans will follow a Tweet and be intrigued by the 'Red Giant' phrase
in the title and click a link to read the full resource description and then
query data via same Portal?  And for a bit of heresy:  Should/can a new
Tweet/Rss be used in the context of VOEvent (where 'event' is generalized
to something beyond the sky but is a type of 'VO' message)?

-Mike