VODataService: simple web resource service

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 27 01:38:42 PDT 2009

Hi RWGers,

I wanted to pass on a comment I just posted to the VODataService RFC page
(http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/VODataServiceV11RFC).
While playing with VOSI response examples, I was reminded that we
currently do not have a good way to describe a type of service interface
that is becoming increasingly important: the simple web resource
represented by a static URL that returns the underlying data (i.e. a GET
on a REST-ful resource).

VOSI (http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/VOSI.html) states that a
service's resource record represents its VOSI support as additional
Capability elements where the <accessURL> gives a particular VOSI
endpoint.  The <interface> element that contains the access URL must
indicate its type (via xsi:type) to communicate how one uses the URL to
access the underlying data.  Unfortunately, none of our current general
Interface types (WebBrowser, WebService, ParamHTTP) are a good semantic
match.  Thus we don't have a good way of registering VOSI endpoints
without breaking the semantics of the existing types.

To address this, I propose we add to VODataService a new Interface type
called "WebResource" that indicates that a GET on the accessURL will
return the service's underlying data.  It should also support an optional
"resultType" child element to indicate the MIMMEtype of the response.

Any objections?