proposed VODataService changes

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue May 20 04:49:51 PDT 2008

Hi RWGers,

Today in Trieste, Aurelien will be (or is now) presenting some proposed
changes to VODataService that are aimed at better support for TAP
services.  Guy Rixon will be posting a revised XML Schema file to the
twiki page, VODataService
(http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/VODataService).  Here are
some initial comments on these changes.

Just by way of summary, this proposed changes aim to:
   o  indicate the database schema a table belongs to
   o  the functions supported by the database
   o  the columns that can be used to join tables

One of the complaints we've addressed in past VOResource schemas has been
over deep XML hierarchies, so it would be worthwhile to examine if this
can be reduced at all in this proposed schema.  There are two main reasons
for avoiding deep hierarchies.  The biggest is that deep hierarchies are
harder to map to relational model (as they tended to lead to a
proliferation of tables that are difficult to understand by even a db
administrator).  The second is that it can be more complicated getting
information out of the hierarchy.

There is at least one place I would recommend some flattening: I'm
wondering if we really need to capture the database schema as a new
do something like this?

    <catalog>
      <name>The X survey catalog</name>
      <description>...</description>
         <schema>...</schema>
         <name>...</name>
         <description>...</description>
         <column>...</column>
         <column>...</column>
      <function>                      <!-- optional -->
         <schema>...</schema>
         <name>...</name>
      </function>
      <join>                          <!-- optional -->
      </join>
    </catalog>

In this case, if the <schema> element is omitted, the default schema is
assumed.