Registry Provider Telecon

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 27 07:54:35 PDT 2008

Hi Registry Providers,

To make the most of the meeting at Trieste, I think it is critical that we
"turn on" as many of the new RI v1.0 compliant registries as are ready
well before then.  I would prefer to see this happen by mid to late April.
By "turn on", I mean that full searchable registries are harvesting from
all publishers in the Registry of Registries (rofr.ivoa.net).  This would
give us a few weeks of experience with the new registries that we talk
about and address problems with in Trieste.

In preparation for that, I would like to try to schedule a telecon of all
registry providers to coordinate this.  In particular, we would find out,

    o  what state is your registry in?
    o  will you be harvesting from other registries?
    o  what data should we set to be commence full harvesting?

A nominal list of people who should participate includes:

                                      (as of 3/31)
    Kevin Benson          Astrogrid     UTC+100
    Sebastien Derriere    EuroVO/CDS    UTC+200
    Aurelien Stebe        SVO/ESAC      UTC+200
    Sergey Karpov         RVO           UTC+400
    Masahiro Tanaka       JVO           UTC+900
    Matthew Graham        NVO/Caltech   UTC-700
    Ray Plante            NVO/NCSA      UTC-500
    Gretchen Greene       NVO/STScI     UTC-400
    Michael Preciado      NVO/HEASARC   UTC-400

Others, of course, are welcome.

As you can see, we as group really do span the globe!  Consequently,
it's unlikely that we would not be able to schedule one meeting
without waking someone up in the middle of the night.  Therefore, I
would like to propose doing *two* telecons.

To schedule this telecon, please respond to me (not to the mailing
list) indicating which of the following times you think you could join
a call.  Mark as many as you will work for you, indicating 1st and 2nd
choices.  I'll take the results and announce two telecon times, one of
which will hopefully work for you.  (I recommend this site as an
guide: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html)

    Wed.  April 2  0600 UTC
    Wed.  April 2  0700 UTC
    Wed.  April 2  1300 UTC
    Wed.  April 2  1400 UTC
    Wed.  April 2  2300 UTC*
       *Apr. 3, morning in Tokyo
    Thu.  April 3  0600 UTC
    Thu.  April 3  0700 UTC
    Thu.  April 3  1300 UTC
    Thu.  April 3  1400 UTC
    Thu.  April 3  2300 UTC*

    Fri.  April 4  0600 UTC
    Fri.  April 4  0700 UTC
    Fri.  April 4  1300 UTC
    Fri.  April 4  1400 UTC

    Mon.  April 7  0600 UTC
    Mon.  April 7  0700 UTC
    Mon.  April 7  1300 UTC
    Mon.  April 7  1400 UTC
    Mon.  April 7  2300 UTC*

    Wed.  April 9  0600 UTC
    Wed.  April 9  0700 UTC
    Wed.  April 9  1300 UTC
    Wed.  April 9  1400 UTC
    Wed.  April 9  2300 UTC*

    Thu.  April 10 0600 UTC
    Thu.  April 10 0700 UTC
    Thu.  April 10 1300 UTC
    Thu.  April 10 1400 UTC
    Thu.  April 10 2300 UTC*

Example:
>   Wed.  April 2  0600 UTC  2  (indicates 2nd choices)
>   Wed.  April 2  0700 UTC  1  (indicates 1st choices)
>   Wed.  April 2  1300 UTC  1
>   Wed.  April 2  1400 UTC  2
>   Wed.  April 2  2300 UTC*    (indicates not available)

We can plan to use the NVO telecon line which will be a toll call for
non-US callers.  You should consider connecting via Skype (skype.com).
If you do, you will need a set of headphones.

Thanks in advance for working this into your schedule!  As always,
your questions and comments are welcome.

cheers,
Ray Plante
RWG Chair