multiple capabilities of the same kind

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Fri Feb 15 07:09:46 PST 2008

Hi Guys -

How do we handle a service which supports two versions of the same
interface - are these separate capability elements as well?  I suspect
so, in which case having multiple capabilities of the same basic type
is probably unavoidable.

Another common case might be two (eg) SIA services of different types,
e.g., one finds only whole images, the other does cutouts, but they
access the same data.

It would seem that a search should look for services of a given type,
possibly with other qualifiers such as the protocol version supported,
or specific service capabilities.  Whether these are represented as
multiple capabilities of a single resource, or separate resources,
should not matter.  In effect what we search for are "capabilities"
rather than what used to be separate service resources.

In this case I don't see much point in trying to qualify the name
attribute; we should just do a search over all capability attributes.

(BTW, a SIA service registered for different bands of the same survey
data sounds like a bad idea, at least for SIAV2; distinguishing
this is what the BAND parameter is for, and one would want to use
association to associate the bands of a multiband observation in a
single SIA query).

	- Doug