VODataService

glemson gerard.lemson at mpe.mpg.de
Wed Dec 10 22:33:53 PST 2008

Hi Pat

It seems to me there might be another possibility to solve your case,
implement a toURL(..) UDF on your database.
Users could now use the toURL(pats_uri) in the where clause, though it would
be very inefficient. But it would be clear to them from the fact that a UDF
is needed.

To me the big advantage is that it makes explicit to the user what is
happening, which I think is ALWAYS good. It seems to solve the issues with
1,2,3 and you do not need extra concepts such as select-only columns.
Of course I assume it is possible for you to implement a UDF with this
functionality.

Could you explain what is exactly the use case here?
Do you want/need to keep the URI column itself available to the user?
If you wish to hide the URI column, you could create a view that contains
the toURL(pats_uri) in the selec, not the pats_uri column itself, and only
publish the view. (I know you know this.). If your database allows you oculd
also use the UDF to define a derived column on the table.

For now I am against your solution 4.
Does the select-only concept have any precedent elsewhere, do you have
references to this? It will require pretty advanced support in ADQL parsers,
though it is not an ADQL concept (ADQL being non-semantic).
As far as I know, but I may be mistaken it goes beyond standard RDB
concepts.
And it seems not to be necessary.

Gerard