table metadata and the registry

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Thu May 10 00:08:15 PDT 2007

The only metadata that we want in the registry is the *necessary*
metadata to interact with the functional interface of the service -
if the functional interface of the service requires knowledge of the
column names/ucds then we think that metadata should be cached in the
registry.

This whole argument concerns the efficiency and response times of a
grid of such services to the VO end user. We want  cached metadata to
speed up the selection of appropriate services for particular
queries. It is all about having a "grid view" rather than a "point
service view" - I thought that this ability to "combine data" was one
of the central promises of the VO.

As I said before - if the placing of table/column metadata in the
registry is deprecated  by the TAP group, then they need to
simultaneously come up with a design/specification/implementation of
a "table metadata  registry" - otherwise the VO slows down for the
end user. This metadata does not *have* to go in the existing
registry, but it sure is the quickest route to to the required
functionality.

Paul Harrison
ESO Garching
www.eso.org