getCapabilities() and graininess

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Wed May 9 14:11:40 PDT 2007

>    o  At the heart of the fine-grained metadata issue is the method we
> use to share metadata: registry harvesting.

So why are we talking about changing the schema? Why not just change the
harvesting spec: instead of a getMetadata method (or whatever it is), add a
getCoarseMetadata method so that those registries which do not want to
maintain the fine-grained metadata do not need to.

>    o  We need a common understanding of what fine-grained means.

Why not leave this to the people who define the service standard: so whoever
defines SIAP, SSAP, TAP etc can define the fine and coarse level of metadata
(if necessary - they might be equivalent), depending on the needs of those
who use the services.

>    o  With issue #3 above, I proposed a common way to get at table
>       metadata without explicitly including it in the VOResource record
>       that enters the harvesting stream.

See above for keeping it out of the harvesting stream.

But the definition of it MUST remain part of the IVOA standard for a tabular
data service. To go back on that after the months of tiger team and
workgroup wrangling to derive the standard cannot be right. It would render
all the registries and applications that rely on it non-standard and thereby
ineffective in the eyes of other apps developers - no-one could countenance
that.

>       Tony suggested that the VOSI standard provides the same solution.

Ignore what Tony said previously: it seems I'm only now coming to realise
what your proposal was, Ray, and maybe I'm still off-track. Please correct
me if I'm wrong.

I know you want this discussion to stop on the list and continue in Beijing,
but I need it to continue as long as you're accessible. Neither Kevin nor I
can be in Beijing and we need to brief those who will be there on the affect
your proposal might have on AstroGrid, so I'll have to keep digging I'm
afraid (does your flight have wireless? :) ).