table metadata and the registry

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Tue May 8 14:20:29 PDT 2007

Hi Ray,

Looks like we're converging. (See also response to Doug re VOSI.)

> Do you agree that we should try to find a way to do this?

I assumed that was what was being done. That was my understanding from
Victoria: that resources not stored with detailed metadata would be 'fixed'
by calling the individual services.

> really need is a shared understanding of what is fine-grained so that

Agreed.

> I suggested a URL as the handle because this is the simplest way to

Also see response just posted to Doug re VOSI. I'm happy to let this be
discussed at Beijing and the techies decide which is the optimum solution: I
like the VOSI approach as it makes a clean 'known' but I do not know enough
of the tech stuff to argue one way or the other.

> begin deprecating the explicit inclusion of table metadata.  There is

I don't *think* we can do that. Unless we get feedback that every existing
and possible service can provide its own detailed metadata, I'm not sure we
can rule out people entering the detailed metadata directly into the
registry and leaving it there forever more. Again, this is one for registry
and service providers to rule on.