table metadata and the registry

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Tue May 8 09:50:30 PDT 2007

Hi again, Ray.

Let's break this down. Firstly, I hope we agree that no-one has any
problem with getting metadata from the service: we'd agreed to allow
this a long time ago and that was why it made it into VOSI (AFAICR).

The issues seem to be about:

1. getting all the metadata (VOResource) or a limited subset;
2. getting it via a URL or via a VOSI:getWhatever method;
3. the structure of registries.

1. You've proposed returning a limited subset but in the same format as
VOResource table schema. Why do you stop at that level? Surely
everything within Capability describes the service. If we're going to
pick an arbitrary level, why not Capability or, better, VOResource? What
is the issue with the service returning *all* its metadata?

2. I have no problem how the metadata is returned but only want the most
efficient method. I would have thought it was more efficient to have all
services implement a single standard interface aligned to the way the
service is implemented: soap method if a soap service; url if a cgi service.

3. we had already agreed to have fine- and coarse-grained registries
back in Victoria: I'm not sure why this has come up again (this in
response to your comments below about forcing you to do registries our
way or getting detailed metadata from your services!). As long as these
registries are identifiable and applications can tie themselves to the
one they need, what is the problem?

Am I missing anything else? Finally...

 > It is the only way today.  NVO is working on other techniques for
 > drilling down into the information for discovery outside the context
 > of the Registry.

That's fine, but let's make sure the applications and services that rely
on registry information *now* can continue to work while these
techniques are being developed.

T.

--
Tony Linde
Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292    Mobile: +44 (0)785 298 8840
Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311    Email:  Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Post:   Department of Physics & Astronomy,
         University of Leicester
         Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH
Web:    http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~ael

Project Manager, EuroVO VOTech   http://eurovotech.org