STC in VOResource records

Aurelien Stebe Aurelien.Stebe at sciops.esa.int
Thu Jan 4 03:08:04 PST 2007

Hi Ray and all,

I've been reading comments on this issue and trying to find a solution,
without much success I must say.
I just wanted to state that I would prefer to avoid that solution
(though it is the best we have yet), because it breaks the separation
between what the Registry understands and what it must return. In other
words, a Registry could not anymore re-publish resources that it
harvested without understanding the "coverage" element, which is what we
agreed in Victoria.

I mean that in a first version we (at ESAVO) didn't plan on supporting
the "coverage" element, and with this solution we would have to add
logic on it to publish eventual Resources that have one. What would
happen if a non-official extension to the schemas use "id/idref" like STC ?

For me the best solution is to drop the use of "id/idref" in STC or find
a way for it not to impose modifications on other systems. I'm not an
expert on STC, so I'm not sure how for the moment, but I'm trying to
have a look.

Cheers and happy new year,
Aurelien

Ray Plante wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Arnold Rots wrote:
>> Hm, if I read the definition of xs:ID correctly, even slashes and
>> colons are not allowed.
>
> Dang it--you are correct.  (Arnold, wouldn't want to save me from this
> hell? ;-)
>
> Okay--here's a revised ruling--please find any remaining mistakes!
> For reference, the problem being addressed is summarized in
> http://www.ivoa.net/forum/registry/0612/1764.htm.
>
> A publishing registry shall be responsible for creating IDs within STC
> descriptions which are globally unique.  The convention for doing this
> will be to use an ID of the following form:
>
>     <resource's authority id>_<resource's resource key>_<coordsys key>
>
> where all slashes are substituted with dashes (-) or underscores (_).
> For example, if the resource being described has an IVOA id of
> "ivo://adil.ncsa/adil", then the following can be used as an internal STC
> id refering to the UTC-FK5-TOPO standard system:
>
>     adil.ncsa_adil_UTC-FK5-TOPO

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The
unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content
is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from your system and notify
the sender. E-mails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed. ESA shall not be liable
for any e-mail if modified.