Version numbers on XMLschemata

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 22 07:45:06 PST 2006

Hey Guy,

Thanks for these comments.  I think we all need understand how critically
we depend on these schemas (wsdls, the same way) and how disruptive
changes can be.

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Guy Rixon wrote:
> I'm not keen on "backward-compatible" changes because I always distrust the
> compatibilty, especially with respect to Java-binding tools.

Wise.  Once we officially switch over, we'll have to be more disciplined
about what changes we allow.

> I guess it comes down to whether a schema is official published or not: fluid
> util published, frozen afterwards. That's why Kevin and I were asking whether
> VOResource-1.0 was published yet. Can we, in future, be clear about which
> exposed schemata are fluid and which are likely to change (e.g. a comment in
> the schema text)?

Good idea.  (I've been feeling an IVOA Note coming on in recent months
regarding this subject.)