[Plastic-devs] illegal/unrecommended use of IVOA identifiers

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 17 09:41:45 PST 2006

Hi,

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, John Taylor wrote:
> It's certainly an alternative worth considering, though I see two problems:
> 1) we're already using the #fragment for something else

You can do what ever you like after the # following the IVOA id, including
having another pound.

If it helps, ? has the exact same effect from the IVOA ID perspective--it
marks the end of the identifier that is resolvable via the registry.  You
could then have messages that look like

    ivo://votech.org/plastic?info/getIVORN#...

2) it centralises the
> definition of messages in one place - we want to avoid this.  So far all the
> messages have been defined "with the votech.org authId" (bad bad choice), but
> I'd really like to see ivo://estar.org/voevent/do/something/funky appear at
> some point.  Now we'd be crazy to let Alasdair get his hands on our
> publishing registry...so how would he add his message to the master list?

So by avoiding centralization, I take you mean that you want to allow
anyone to define a new message.  My recommendation is that that through
one Standard resource record, one can define a set of properties (that are
presumably related).  You define your core Plastic message; Alasdair, in a
sepearate Standard record, defines his extended set.  Applications can
either describe support for whole sets or individual properties.

I think it can work.