illegal/unrecommended use of IVOA identifiers

John Taylor jdt at roe.ac.uk
Fri Nov 17 07:07:10 PST 2006

Sorry to post this twice, but I wanted to correct the mistaken plastic
devs address in the cc line before more people replied.

> Re: illegal/unrecommended use of IVOA identifiers
> From:
> John Taylor <jdt at roe.ac.uk>
> Date:
> Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:03:53 +0000
> To:
> Roy Williams <roy at cacr.caltech.edu>
>
> To:
> Roy Williams <roy at cacr.caltech.edu>
> CC:
> Ray Plante <rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu>,
> plastic-devs at sourceforge.net, registry at ivoa.net
>

> Hi Roy,
>
> Roy Williams wrote:
>
>> John
>>
>> Following your logic, this means that VOEvents can also be registered
>> individually, rather than registering the server that handles them,
>> as Ray suggests. I understand that LSST will be putting out thousands
>> of event notices every night. Do you think the VO registry system
>> will be able to handle the load?
> As I say, there's not very many messages - we're not proposing that
> whenever an app sends a message it gets registered.  We're registering
> the message "class" rather than "instance".  I don't really know
> enough about VOEvent to comment.
>>
>> Another problem is inflexibility. Suppose a group wishes to
>> experiment with their own dialect of messages, and they want to
>> change rapidly, adding and deleting. In the official (Ray) scheme,
>> they would have a standalone message registry that may or may not be
>> registered with the VO registry. In your scheme, each message is
>> added and deleted from the entire global VO registry.
> I think it's very flexible.  While you're experimenting, don't
> register the message.  We're not registering them at the moment and
> getting along just fine...it's just they wouldn't show up in any tools
> that looked in the registry for them, which is probably what you'd
> want anyway.  Indeed, you could even choose a non-ivoid URI if you
> wished.
>>
>> Of course it is much more convenient to have "everything in the
>> registry", it is a one-stop shop instead of a two-stage process. But
>> perhaps not always the best solution.......
> Indeed.  It might turn out that we don't register them after all, but
> if so, no harm done.
>
> John
>>
>> Roy
>>

>> John Taylor wrote
>>>  a search of the registry reveals the ivo://..../loadVOTable message

AstroGrid/VOTech
&
WFAU, Institute for Astronomy, Edinburgh
Skype:johndavidtaylor <skype:johndavidtaylor?chat>

*Gratuitous advertising:*
Plastic - http://plastic.sourceforge.net | AstroRuntime -
http://www2.astrogrid.org/desktop
AstroGrid - http://www.astrogrid.org | WFAU -