illegal/unrecommended use of IVOA identifiers

John Taylor jdt at roe.ac.uk
Fri Nov 17 07:03:53 PST 2006

Hi Roy,

Roy Williams wrote:

> John
>
> Following your logic, this means that VOEvents can also be registered
> individually, rather than registering the server that handles them, as
> Ray suggests. I understand that LSST will be putting out thousands of
> event notices every night. Do you think the VO registry system will be
> able to handle the load?
As I say, there's not very many messages - we're not proposing that
whenever an app sends a message it gets registered.  We're registering
the message "class" rather than "instance".  I don't really know enough
about VOEvent to comment.

> Another problem is inflexibility. Suppose a group wishes to experiment
> with their own dialect of messages, and they want to change rapidly,
> adding and deleting. In the official (Ray) scheme, they would have a
> standalone message registry that may or may not be registered with the
> VO registry. In your scheme, each message is added and deleted from
> the entire global VO registry.
I think it's very flexible.  While you're experimenting, don't register
the message.  We're not registering them at the moment and getting along
just fine...it's just they wouldn't show up in any tools that looked in
the registry for them, which is probably what you'd want anyway.
Indeed, you could even choose a non-ivoid URI if you wished.

> Of course it is much more convenient to have "everything in the
> registry", it is a one-stop shop instead of a two-stage process. But
> perhaps not always the best solution.......
Indeed.  It might turn out that we don't register them after all, but if
so, no harm done.

John

> Roy
>

> John Taylor wrote
>>  a search of the registry reveals the ivo://..../loadVOTable message
>>
>> Ray Plante wrote:
>>>  Instead, I would recommend the approach that is to be used by the
>>> VOSpace standard in which names are identified using a # suffix; e.g.,
>>>
>>>    ivo://votech.org/plastic#info/getIVORN

AstroGrid/VOTech
&
WFAU, Institute for Astronomy, Edinburgh
Skype:johndavidtaylor <skype:johndavidtaylor?chat>

*Gratuitous advertising:*
Plastic - http://plastic.sourceforge.net | AstroRuntime -
http://www2.astrogrid.org/desktop
AstroGrid - http://www.astrogrid.org | WFAU -