from/to parameters

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 16 13:12:24 PDT 2006

Hey Kevin,

I don't want to split hairs on this one, but have we talked about the
possibility of changing the "to" parameter (as in, from and to) in the
search operations to something like "max" that indicates the maximum
number of records to return?  (The server will still be allowed return
fewer than this number.)

One problem I have with from and to is that allows an illegal combination
in which "to" is less than "from" which must be explicitly checked by the
application.  You don't have this with "from" and "max".  (The WSDL
presumably enforces that these are positive.)

Plus I feel that "from"/"max" is a bit more convenient programmatically.
For example, a client that pages through results need only change the from
parameter.  (Also, count = to - from +1...)

This is not a big deal.