Comments on the new Schemas

Aurelien Stebe Aurelien.Stebe at sciops.esa.int
Fri Jun 16 09:54:00 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I reviewed the schemas and here are a few comments :

- The "validatedBy" attribute on ValidationLevel should be made
"required", because a level number without any indication about who
validated it is not very useful ... or do we assume it is the
queried/managing registry if empty ?

- The "managedAuthority" element should have minOccurs="1", since a
registry must manage at least its own AuthorityID.

- The "validationLevel" is missing in "RegCapRestriction" (VORegistry.xsd)

- We should rename OAIHTTPGet to just OAIHTTP, since the OAI doc forces
implementations to support both GET and POST. If we make it also an
extension of "ParamHTTP", because it is a ParamHTTP protocol, we can use
the QueryType to specify GET or POST or both. I assume that in
ParamHTTP, if the QueryType element is missing the endpoint supports
both GET and POST, or should we add the BOTH possibility to the list ?
Note also that the RI doc refers all the time to "OAI GET". It should be
replaced by just "OAI".

- In the Registry extension, the first documentation paragraph should
say : A registry is considered a publishing registry if it contains a
capability element with xsi:type="vg:Harvest". It is considered a
searchable registry if it contains a capability element with
xsi:type="vg:Search".

- StandardSTC might better be declared in the VOStandard schema, but I'm
not sure I understand how to use it. Also, I didn't fully read the
VOStandard file as I think we should concentrate on this schema after
the RI and the basic ones are in v1.0

- Inconsistencies with "whiteSpace collapse" : it is missing on some
elements. Here are a few examples : it should be on "AccessURL" element
and not on its attribute "use"   /   "wsdlURL" should be of type
"PaddedURI"   /   "AuthorityID is missing the "whiteSpace collapse"
/   missing in the whole SIA and CS schemas.

- I noticed that the only difference between DataService, CatalogService
and TableService are the Coverage and Table elements. Those two elements
are optional and I think we could put them both in DataService and get
rid of the two other extensions. Those three types are just confusing
users. A service for which coverage is irrelevant would simply not have
this element, and one without "tables" would not declare any.

Cheers,
Aurelien