The IVOA in 2006: Assessment and Future Roadmap - Registries

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Thu Jun 8 08:01:09 PDT 2006

> The registry data model (for better or worse) has always been
> defined in terms of the XML Schema language, and there is a very
> natural candidate for a query language for XML, namely XQuery

I wonder about relational versus XML schema. Are they really
different -- and therefore the query languages should be different?
Or are they just different representations of the same thing?

In other words, can I translate from XML to relational schema in an
automatic way?
Can I translate back (automatically) and get the same as the XML
schema I started with?

I know there is formal mathematics about relational databases (Codd
and Date). Is there substantial formal theory on translating XML to
and from RDBMS?

Roy

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670