applications software metadata

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Fri Jan 27 10:06:49 PST 2006

There are some FABULOUS ways to use the registry for applications, for
example:

-- Applications that can be used as part of a Astrogrid CEA workflow
-- Applications that understand John Taylor's messaging protocol
-- Applications that are remote SOAP services and have a WSDL file
-- Applications that can handle VOEvent packets (my own favourite)

In each case there is *formal* information in the registry record, so
that a portal can use that information, eg. providing a menu of
plug-and-play workflow components, or a clickable list of VOEvent
publishers, or auto-generating a form for using a web service.

We can think of a set of registries, each directed to a very specific
kind of application that can be formally defined. That is MUCH more
promising than a laundry list of "software that somebody somewhere
might find useful for astronomy".

Roy

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670