applications software metadata

John Taylor jdt at roe.ac.uk
Fri Jan 27 09:33:36 PST 2006

   -- What is the purpose and intended usage of the applications registry?
> -- What exactly is meant by "application" How about these: Excel?
> Apache webserver? STC schema? My Pipeline for My Data? A Java class to
> translate sexagesimal to decimal? An IDL script? An IDL tutorial? IDL
> itself?
I think this is a good question, but that we can make progress by
focussing on the two more tightly defined categories of application
described by Tony: server-side apps that can be plugged into a workflow
and interactive (largely) client-side apps.   The benefit from
describing apps in a registry rather than relying on Google is that we
can get some degree of automation.   Server side apps are covered by the
UWS discussions, so here's a use case from the desktop side that I'd
like to see addressed.

A group of us are working at making common desktop applications
interoperate using a simple messaging protocol.  Supposing the user is
manipulating some data in an application and wishes to view it in
another app.  I'd like my first app to be able to throw up a dialog box
to query the registry based on: keywords from the user, whether the app
supports the messaging protocol and if it does whether it understands
the message my first app will send to instruct it to load the data.
After the user has selected a suitable app, I want it to be
automatically downloaded (if necessary) and started.  Now clearly, this
isn't always going to be possible and I in many cases I might need to
fall back to displaying a URL for the user to go fetch the app himself,
but often we will be able to offer quite a lot of automation.

What other use cases do people have for client-side tools and the
registry?

John

ROE/AstroGrid/VOTech DS6