applications software metadata

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Thu Jan 26 10:50:20 PST 2006

On Jan 26, 2006, at 9:56 AM, Tony Linde wrote:
> How does this get registered? Can you supply a sample registration
> (ie, the xml)?

Registration of applications for the NVO apps registry is through a web
form, as defined below. It is not XML, it is relational -- with the
schema defined below. You can see samples by clicking on any of the
links in http://www.us-vo.org/projects/tools.cfm

Before embarking on the joys of XML, the registry group might wish to
answer some of these questions:

-- What is the purpose and intended usage of the applications registry?
-- What exactly is meant by "application" How about these: Excel?
Apache webserver? STC schema? My Pipeline for My Data? A Java class to
translate sexagesimal to decimal? An IDL script? An IDL tutorial? IDL
itself?
-- Would the registry be primarily for humans or for machines to
access? If the former, surely we rely primarily on natural language
description and images? If the latter, what is the formal content of
the registry record that the machine can parse and use?
-- Why would somebody go to the IVOA applications registry rather than
sourceforge/google to find an application?

Some food for thought is in the NVO Summer School proceedings(*).
Scroll down to the "Software Index" and ask which of these 22
should/could/may/cannot be registered in the proposed applications
registry.
Roy

(*) http://us-vo.org/summer-school/2005/proceedings/index.html