Mistakes in registry

Malapert Jean-Christophe malapert at iap.fr
Mon Feb 6 16:21:12 PST 2006

Hi Ray,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

>  *  We've been developing validators.  The first completed one for
>     Conesearch services (beta) can be found at
>
>        http://nvo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/VO/services/csvalidate.html
>
>     This validator has been run on all know ConeSearch services; the
>     results can be viewed at:
>
>        http://nvo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/VO/services/csinventory/summary.html
>
>     A SIA validator is nearing completion; this will be followed by a
>     registry service validator.
>
>Your feedback on any particular records would be very helpful.  You should
>contact either the contact person listed in the record, or the
>contact for the registry that you received the record from.

Your validator is very useful. Thanks for the link.

About my feedback, I have found some problems about SSA service. The
biggest one, which one is very difficult to check, is when the size
parameter of your SSA request is important (~10 deg). Sometimes the
result is an image indicating an error and not a VOTable output. I
imagine that my request spent the timeout value specified by http server
and that image was a status code personalized.

People told me that they will implement the error response properly but
that 10 deg is very large. With apparition of large CCD like MEGACAM
(FOV : 1deg x 1deg)  and the wide field survey (9 deg x 8deg), people
may want both image and spectrum data for this survey. So, a size of 10
deg is not impossible! This kind of error depends also on number of
request received by minute on the service. I imagine, for the moment,
the number of requests are not so important to SSA service.

It seems difficult to check this point unless you send some very
important queries on the service. But I don't think people be very happy
you do it ;-)

Cheers,
J-Christophe