2-stage identifier resolution

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 20 03:05:57 PDT 2006

Roy,

that's a good summary of the resolution process. The formal name for the path
between the authority-ID and local-ID is "resource key" rather than
reasource-ID.

Paul Harrison points out that using # as a separator is naughty according to
W3C. In the W3C URI rules, # is always used to indicate a fragment of a
document available at a URI. Our local-ID part isn't exactly a fragment in the
W3C sense. The registry rules blessed ? as an alternate separator, so it might
be better to use that.

Mind you, nothing generically webbish will ever understand an ivo://... URI,
so there's no possibililty of confusion if we use # as a separator.

Cheers,
Guy

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523