Mapping ADQL - XQuery

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Thu May 19 04:47:22 PDT 2005

Actually, the subject is more than simply mapping ADQL to XQuery but that is
how it came up (on the subway back from KICH!).

The point really is that we need, in the RI, to specify how identifying an
element in the ADQL WHERE clause that we use for simple searches translates
into identifying the appropriate element in the metadata for a resource. At
the moment, Ray and I can only think of this applying to repeat elements:
identifying an element we have '[/a/b/c]=99' but which of the c elements are
we checking for having the value 99? Ray implements it as 'any c = 99', but
equally valid is 'all c = 99' or 'first c = 99' etc.

It is necessary in the RI spec to mandate how this is handled so that the
same query sent to different registries returns the same information.

1. Personally, I'd vote for 'any c = 99' but let's hear other views.

The second place where this ambiguity occurs is '[/a/b/c]=99 AND
[/a/b/c at x]="Y"' (i.e. 'element c = 99' AND 'attribute x of element c has
value "Y"'): does this mean (if we assume 'any' as the answer to the above
question)
 'any element c = 99' AND 'any attribute x of any element c = "Y"' or
 'any element c = 99' AND 'the attribute x of the same element c = "Y"'

2. I'll pass on this one and defer to the experts.

Bear in mind that whatever we specify as the default, any agent accessing
the registry is free to use the XQuery interface of a registry which
supports that interface to ensure unambiguous querying.

(PS: sorry wiki page not yet updated: cannot get uploads to work from hotel
room!!)

--
Tony Linde
Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292      Mobile: +44 (0)7753 603356
Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311      Email:  Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Skype:  callto:tonylinde (home)  callto:tonylinde2 (work)
Post:   Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Leicester
        Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH
Web:    http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~ael

Project Manager, EuroVO VOTech   http://eurovotech.org
Programme Manager, AstroGrid     http://www.astrogrid.org