Report to Exec

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat May 14 06:28:50 PDT 2005

Hi Tony,

I would summarize our activity have several major thrusts at the moment.

Metadata:
  *  a v1.1 revision of the RM to incorporate lessons from current
       practice and quality
  *  an effort to push to a v1.0 VOResource that can go through the
       standards process.  Current changes on tap are minor but are being
       affected by the Registry Interface standard development.
  *  preparations for overhauling an important VOResource extension,
       currently called VODataService which looks specifically describing
       data collections and services.  Important input to this is the
       Astrogrid work on CEA and the Universal Worker Service.

Registry Interface
  *  a push to release a self consistant (v1.0?) working draft of the
       Registry Interface document.  This document desribes the harvesting
       and searching interfaces for registries.

Curation
  *  NVO has undertaken at systematic review of current registry records
       to look at what is useful and what is not.  The results are feeding
       into the latest version of the RM.
  *  Discussions are underway about how we can encourage good quality
       metadata in our records and what the role of the registries are in
       the curation of this information.  At the center of this discussion
       is the proposal for a metadatum called ResourceVerificationLevel
       (or just verification level) which helps defines the roll
       registries must take in curation.

hope this helps,