discussion status & my recommendations

KevinBenson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Mon May 9 06:53:14 PDT 2005

Very good stuff Ray.  I would agree with almost everything there including
tabling the idea of stamping, as you say it is complex and probably not
worth it at this moment.
----
The only one I am still unclear about is verificationLevel and not sure if I
agree with the notion still that any registry can change this value (at
least not on the vr:Resource).

>From what I gather from previous e-mails (and this e-mail) there may be some
apps that are going to query on this attribute, and that is what bothers me
if our registries will be different.  I understand our full registries may
not be exactly the same because of different harvesting times, but by and
large they should be very close.  And if scientist are collaborating on a
app pointed at different registries and depending on how the registry uses
the verificationLevel no entries may show up for the app at all (if the
registry set resources at a low level).

*Other problems that you need to make clear on how this would work out.
If we state that a registry can keep the same value harvested from another
full registry then (how or who) do you know gave the original
verificationLevel?  (Or does this matter?)
Depending on how this is implemented, does this mean that if the
publishing/original registry user updates a Registry entry to make it great
going probably from a verificationLevel of 0 to 4, that he/she might have to
start contacting other full Registries to re-evaluate that entry otherwise
it might sit at 0 for a long time when it deserves to be a 3 or 4 (that
would sound like a lot of work by each registry to have to go back and
re-evaluate entries)
A final comment is this makes some extra work to change the logic around to
have the ability to change an external Resource (not owned/managed). And
then figure out if you should take or not take the verificationLevel from
another full registry. But yes probably could be done with not to much
headache.

If we do decide to carry on with this, is there any objection that I just
default all entries to the "best and highest" level possible to make sure
all apps will be happy. Only Joking .....for now :)

Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea of DataQuality and VerificationLevel
just not sure if we are going about it the correct way, unfortunately I
don't have any other suggestion at the moment.

Cheers,
Kevin