RM v1.1 feedback loop from VOResource

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 8 00:43:32 PDT 2005

Hi Bob,

Now that I have gone through VOResource release and some testing, I've
noted some remaining differences between VOResource and the RM that might
be best resolved by a changes to RM.

  o  I recommend changing "StandardURI" to "StandardID".  This makes it
     parallel to "PublisherID".  Both take an IVOA Identifier as a value,
     so I think it would be good to give them similar names.

     If you would rather keep "StandardURI", I'm happy to change
     VOResource to match that.

  o  Add "served-by" as a possible value for "Relationship" with the
     definition, "The resource (e.g., a data collection) can be accessed
     via another service resource."

     This was requested by Paul Harrison to support Astrogrid work.

  o  Add a new term, "ResourceValidatedBy" whose value is an IVOA
     identifier and whose value is the IVOA identifier for the registry or
     organisation that set the "ResourceValidationLevel".

     This came out of our discussion of ResourceValidationLeve discussed
     in Kyoto.

There is one other descrepency I wanted to point out that we may fix in
VOResource, but it depends on the results from our registry data model
tiger team effort.  RM defines "ServiceURL" and "BaseURL"; in VOResource,
these are both encoded with an element called "accessURL" which accepts
an attribute, "use", that can indicate if it is a base URL.  The reason
for this is somewhat historical, but the reasons this are two:

  1. to enforce that all interface descriptions provide a URL for
     accessing the service, be it a base URL or web service URL, via a
     single element.

  2. this same name is reused in the DataCollection resource type (not
     defined in the VOResource core but in the extension VODataService
     schema to optionally provide a URL (e.g. to an FTP directory) where
     the data can be downloaded from.

I would expect we'd have this accessURL issue settled before the end of
the month when RM v1.1 is scheduled to go to PR.