registry-updatable data

KevinBenson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Apr 7 02:46:30 PDT 2005

----Sorry mssl outage was from last night.

Yes there will need to be a status attriubute with the original resource
record or it should still be there.  The livelines like you say should be at
the recordCuration.  Status should stay as "active|inactive|deleted".
Livlieness might be 0=rare to 4=very active possibly.  But no matter how
many people put there stamp "recordCuration" on it once the original
registry puts it as "deleted" (status) such as a cone search service no
longer in use then that is it; it is gone till the originating registry
brings it back to life with an "active" status; No matter how much
livlineess you have.
---
But in general I think we might want to think of another solution on how to
get at this recordCuration.  Actually I am really starting to not like the
name "recordCuration" there is no "curation" involved, your putting stat
information for a record, a stamp to it, a critical review if you want.

One of the primary purposes of the Search interface should be any app
connected to any registry can do virutally the same query and get back
consistently the same data and information back.  And here we are trying to
weave in inconsistent data.          (--ignore non-ivoa registry extensions
schemas that is a different kind of issue)

I think we might want to come up with "Use case" scenarios of how apps will
use it.

Almost all registry apps will not want to query on "recordCuration"/"stamp"
because you will not get the same results back.   Only special apps such as
actual curation apps will ever want to do any querying on this
"recordCuration" area.

I think we might need to think about some other type of solution for this
and possibly leave the search and VOResources for the most part alone (but
that is just my opinion).

Any ideas?

I will throw out a possible guess: Just another web service interface method
called getRecordCurationsForIdentifier  or searchRecordCurations that deal
with just returning "recordCuration" elements.  And make the app do a second
query if they want to get at the Resource hence VOResources.  This would
entail I guess that we are somehow harvesting our "recordCuration" between
our apps probably via sets.  I will try to send a link later of the older
Stamping area from a year ago, I think it was on a similiar basis.

Cheers,
Kevin