Error column in VOResource -> metadata standardization

Pierre Didelon pdidelon at cea.fr
Wed May 19 07:18:14 PDT 2004

Hi Tony,

on the god path? at least some mutual  understanding reached!

Tony Linde wrote:

> Hi Pierre,
>
> I agree in principle to the levelled approach (after ten seconds thought :)
> ).
>
> What we must have is some XMLSchema based metadata representation that is
> common across all VObs components. This ensures the use of standard tools
> and mechanisms including the ability to state a block standard and then
> refer to it via a namespace.
>
> And namespaces is probably the way to get to your levelled approach: the top
> level are the standard IVOA namespaced metadata blocks; the next level will
> use parts of these standards and perhaps add certain extensions; the third
> level will be whole new blocks perhaps.
>
> How all this might work I don't know - the discussion and trials need to
> happen now - but we've got to dump the present way of representing metadata
> in VOTable because it is a dead-end (with a 100m cliff beyond!).
For level 1 (as I discribed it) Registry group has to predefine it needs
and appropriate data structure.
But for level 2 (generic data structure) I don't see any technical
obstacle/impediment to use VOTable as metadata reservoir.
may be waiting quantity... or the miracle! ;-)

--
Pierre