Error column in VOResource

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue May 18 08:51:23 PDT 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Tony Linde wrote:
> the registry is a one stop shop for all metadata.

I disagree with this statement in general.  Besides various pratical
reasons of scaling and scope, there is an issue of volitility.

Making the registry a one-stop shop for metadata demands a tight coupling
with the services they describe.  Any change in the service must be
reflected back into the registry.  If the registry is simply about
discovering services, the coupling is looser, and the service is more
flexible to changes in implementation.

It can be argued that the tighter the coupling, the more costly the system
in terms of software development and coordination of people.  A tightly
coupled design may be appropriate for a particular VO project that can
manage that coordination; however, it's less appropriate for the IVOA as a
whole.

It's an interesting issue that I expect we'll learn more about with
experience.