bandpasses in RM

Andrew Lawrence al at roe.ac.uk
Tue Mar 23 02:04:25 PST 2004

Re Arnold's comment:

*In principle I agree with the seven, but wonder where submillimeter
*falls and whether radio ought to be differentiated.  I mean, otical
*covers just one octave, while radio comprises at least 10 octaves...
*The distribution seems rather uneven.

as an X-ray astronomer in origin I agree in principle; we tend to refer
to the "UVOIR" to mean anything from 10 micron to 0.1 micron. Also I am
personally scientifically in favour of highlighting the submm ... BUT ..

.. we are not talking about density of wavelength pixels, but density of
people and papers. My guess is that Bob's scheme gives a fairly uniform
distribution of people-hours. So I vote for Bob's list.

   andy lawrence