Note on resource metadata XML schemas

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 8 08:07:05 PST 2004

Hi RWGers,

On behalf of the NVO project, I've submitted an IVOA Note called "Lessons
Learned Using the VOResource XML Schemas in the NVO"; it can be accessed
via:

   http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/RMExp.html

This document focuses on what was difficult about using the schemas in
their current state, with the intention providing input into a discussion
of a *possible* revision of the schemas--in particular, to the core model.

It can be argued that if we are to undertake such a revision, it would
easier to do now rather than later; given our roadmap into the interop
meeting and through to the end of the year, we will likely find ourselves
fairly entrenched in the current schemas.  It is my opinion that the only
way we can practically pull this off is with a highly-focused effort on
the part of a small group--people who actually developed registries with
the schema this last year--with the limited goal of making the schemas
easier to use and not on new features.

Please keep in mind that the above Note purposely emphasizes the negative
and under-emphasizes the positive.  It is *not* our intention to claim
that the schemas are a complete failure; rather, we just want to put the
issues on the table to see if there is anything we can/should do about it.

thanks,