VOResourcev0.10

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 28 08:55:51 PDT 2004

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for looking into this.

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Matthew Graham wrote:
> I am working on converting my XForms stylesheet to use the new schema and
> a little issue has come up regarding namespaces (unsurprisingly): I note
> that facility and instrument are defined in both VOResource and
> VODataService but under different namespaces. This means that the
> <facility> of an Organisation is vr:facility but the <facility> of a
> SkyService is vs:facility.

First, let me point out that this is a direct consequence of the fact that
facility is a locally defined element.  If it were globally defined (as
it was in the last version), its namespace would always and everywhere be
vr.

In general, we will have this effect any time we reuse a type.

> I think that this could cause ambiguities for XPath/XQuery queries when
> namespaces are being used, not necessarily for the user but maybe for the
> implementor since how would we know when to ignore namespaces and when to
> make use of them?

I'm wondering if it makes a difference when the XSD file uses
elementFormDefault="unqualified".  Is this something you can test?  (Would
you need help converting files?)

thanks,