solar metadata in VODataServiceCoverage schema

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 16 08:36:51 PDT 2004

Hey Elizabeth,

This is great info--thanks for looking into this!

One caveat I should mention is that the coverage schema given in
VODataServiceCoverage-v0.2.xsd was defined as a "stand-in" while the STC
schema being developed by Arnold Rots was being worked on.  I'm now in the
process of integrating it into the VODataService schema (as
VODataServiceCoverage-v0.3.xsd).

Nevertheless, this is a good time to consider support for solar data.
I'm hoping Arnold can take a look at the list you gave and consider these
questions:

  1. To what extent can the STC schema support these systems?  Is an
     extension needed?

  2. What is the best way to extend the schema?

First, I want to be clear about what I mean by "extending".  I do *not*
think that Arnold should work on a new version of STC to accommadate the
solar coordinate systems; I would rather see a new schema (i.e. with a new
namespace) oriented to solar coordinate systems that builds on STC.  This
would be best done by someone connected to the solar community with advice
from Arnold on leveraging the data model.