AstroGrid: State of Play

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Jan 23 06:40:27 PST 2004

Kevin Benson is not back until next week so please take the following with a
grain of salt:

1. Yes. AstroGrid has a registry web service working. It includes the
ability to add and maintain registry entries and harvest from other
registries. It is accessible from the AstroGrid Portal component but the
functionality of this is lagging behind.

2. Yes. Complies with RM V1.0 and Schema V0.9.

3. Yes. Can be harvested using agreed OAI interface. NVO have harvested from
AstroGrid registry.

4. Yes. AstroGrid has harvested from CDS and from NVO registries
successfully. There are issues about this which Ray Plante has already
alluded to.

Identified open issues include (Kevin can add more next week):

A. nailing down the harvesting interfaces and including a web service
equivalent.
B. harvest protocol: push vs pull vs timed vs requested.
C. defining service invocation interface so that resources can be *used*
(ref proposals on service interface, skynode interface and VOQL).
D. is harvest of all or only 'owned' entries?
E. can 'local' registries be populated in automated way (see discussion on
AstroGrid forum, http://forum.astrogrid.org/read.php?TID=631, about half way
down).