More separation

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 17 14:27:22 PST 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Tony Linde wrote:
> > sub-type: ConeSearch, SimpleImageAccess, SkyNode.  Thus, if
> > you have a catalog that has both Cone Search and SkyNode
> > interfaces accessing it, it is not possible to describe both
> > those interfaces in a single record.
>
> I would classify the ConeSearch, SimpleImageAccess & SkyNode as separate
> services. An interface is where a ConeSearch can be invoked both through cgi
> and web service interfaces.

Okay, this is a pretty good cut.  The different interfaces provide access
to the same logical functionality.  The service, then, is defined by its
behavior and some abstract description of its inputs and outputs.  In
specific terms, different services will be described by different
"capability" metadata.  This is all consistant with the current XML
schemas.

> Is this a fair description of reality?

I think so.