Terms

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Dec 17 11:28:47 PST 2004

Hi Ray,

> > I've left out 'resource' deliberately - it is a somewhat
> loaded term.
> > And I've tried to keep to the higher level entities at this stage.
>
> The definition provided by the RM is intended to clarify this
> and allow us to use the term without fear.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't leaving it out because it hadn't been
defined but because, as you say, it is deliberately broad. It is loaded in
the sense that we tend to identify a resource as something with a separate
record in the registry and I wanted to avoid that discussion at this stage
(says he, doing just that with the 'interface' discussion!). I'll put it
back now, anyway.

When we come on to terms relating to the provision of data and services, I
like the idea of replacing Data Centre with Provider: the latter is both
more constrained and less loaded than the former.

I want to introduce the term that Clive mentioned, Site, and would like to
use it to provide some locational information for a Provider. But I'm not
sure if we want a provider to be constrained to one site or a site to one
provider. I'll model a more flexible, many-to-many, relationship for now. We
do need some sort of location information for the case where we want to
determine which service of many fronting the same resource (data collection
or application) is nearest to some other resource. And no, I've no idea how
to define 'nearest' either :)