Terms - copies vs mirrors

Martin Hill mchill at dial.pipex.com
Sat Dec 11 09:46:57 PST 2004

Roy Williams wrote:

>> So a mirror will generally always return the same results as the
>> original. A
>> snapshot can only guarantee to return the same results up until the next
>> update of the original. An extract can never guarantee to return the same
>> results.
>

> We have astronomical datasets, called A and B.
>
> A delivers a lossless compression of B. Are they mirrors?
>
> When I query A and B, I get a table of results. A and B have different
> default sorting order. Are they mirrors?

All of the above are different protocols or interfaces to the same data.
  I would like to see separate definitions of data vs the
interface/protocol to that data; so to me the above are all data mirrors
(or copies if they diverge).

> A delivers much lower bandwidth than B. Are they mirrors?

All sites have different bandwidths that depend also on who is querying
from where...

> A delivers data with calibration version 3.2 and B delivers calibration
> versions 3.1 and 3.2. Are they mirrors?

no

> A can deliver data from Virgo AND Orion, but B only covers Orion. Are
> they mirrors?

no

> A is available all the time, but B is located in Utah and cannot deliver
> data on Sundays. Are they mirrors?

yes. Again this is to do with protocol...

> A is the server that is mentioned in the peer-reviewed publication by
> Professor Bigshot. The B data is a copy made by an irresponsible
> student, and is not mentionsed in the Bigshot paper. Are they mirrors?

sounds like a 'copy' to me, in that there will be no effort to keep them
synchronised.

--
Martin Hill
www.mchill.net