Terms - Proposals

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 10 13:45:34 PST 2004

The mirror definition needs to be tightened a bit:

A mirror will return, bit for bit, the same result as its parent site
time lag in miorror updating, and maybe that should be specified in
the mirror's profile.  I.e.:

A mirror, when presented with a query (or request) Q at time T will
return a bitwise identical response as its parent site would have
returned in response to query Q at time T-dt, where dt should be a
fixed and predictable value (i.e., the time between updates).

What is exempted from this, of course, is meta-metadata, such as the
immediate source of the data and information on the transmission.

  - Arnold

Roy Williams wrote:

> > So a mirror will generally always return the same results as the original. A
> > snapshot can only guarantee to return the same results up until the next
> > update of the original. An extract can never guarantee to return the same
> > results.
>
> We have astronomical datasets, called A and B.
>
> A delivers a lossless compression of B. Are they mirrors?
>
> When I query A and B, I get a table of results. A and B have different default sorting
> order. Are they mirrors?
>
> A delivers much lower bandwidth than B. Are they mirrors?
>
> A delivers data with calibration version 3.2 and B delivers calibration versions 3.1 and
> 3.2. Are they mirrors?
>
> A can deliver data from Virgo AND Orion, but B only covers Orion. Are they mirrors?
>
> A is available all the time, but B is located in Utah and cannot deliver data on Sundays.
> Are they mirrors?
>
> A is the server that is mentioned in the peer-reviewed publication by Professor Bigshot.
> The B data is a copy made by an irresponsible student, and is not mentionsed in the
> Bigshot paper. Are they mirrors?

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu